Friday, May 18, 2007

Mental Notes



You know it’s spring when the quilt shows begin! Well, actually for some it is the return of the robins and the beautiful blooms on the trees…and for me, it’s the heavenly roar of the thousands of motorcycles hitting the road again after a long winter’s absences.
To each his own…I guess!
But you really know its spring fer sure, when the quilt shows start popping up…and I had the pleasure of attending one of the best I’ve ever seen, put on by the Durham Trillium Quilt Guild in Oshawa.
I worked it actually…I am a working girl after all.
The girls of JHS were on the road again.
And because…sometimes I feel compelled (driven) to make little mental notes …all in the name of improvement (self, working environment, business, behaviour (okay not so much), customer service , people…and so on), I thought I’d share!
Mental Notes:
1. The Captain and his crew had set up the both beautifully, many thanks for that and perhaps, if I may …a gentle little suggestion for next time. If you could leave just a tad more space for the cashier, she would be ever so grateful. Took much maneuvering to get that 4 X 4 ass in that 2 X 2 space…and oh ya….that red hook protruding from the counter door…bags were not the only thing that sat on that for much of the weekend…if you get the point…and I did…several times!
Also…whoever thought plugging in the lights behind the cash wouldn’t be a problem…you would be correct….if we ALL happened to be six feet tall! Not to worry…seems I am still really good with headstands.

2. At first glance, I assumed that the ONE under the desk accessory drawer would be adequate to hold all essentials needed for daily ops. OH HOW WRONG I WAS!
It became quickly apparent that once one of us (not mentioning any names cough cough Miss J cough cough!) unloaded the lip gloss, nail files and polish, I would be bending much further to retrieve stupid things like credit card slips, staplers and scotch tape. Maybe…a second drawer could be added….pretty pretty please…with lip gloss on top! (Note to self…lip gloss does not work as well as a Band-Aid in stemming blood flow, add a Crash Cart to travel inventory).

3. Losing phone and email reception can cause a panic attack.

4. Those big red table clothes do make nice capes and yes with enough speed… you Could probly fly Frack. We’ll test the theory next trip.

5. Mr. Bookman reads more than books…and sometimes his eyes glaze over and he gets stuck on the same page…w-a-y to long and a little Frickette Intervention is needed. Making him take photos of girls with breast enhancements, while perhaps scarring him for life, did seem to cure his eye problem.

6. Speaking of breast enhancement, ALWAYS ALWAYS do exactly what the Captain tells you…and YES the look on Mrs. H’s face when she first notices your bust enhancement….is PRICELESS!

7. We’d have made more money had that Pole been free the entire weekend. Perhaps a consideration for next set-up ….leave a six foot clearance around the pole…and for Christ sakes…is it too much to ask for alittle grease to go with it?

8. Shrink wrapping is not for wimps, as proven by the two grown adults trying to shrink wrap a small box of accessories (stupid damn tomato pincushions). Painful conclusion, besides the bruise on my thigh…he better stick to computers…I better stick to carpets…and if all else fails…call in the teenager.

9. Riding on a dolly would be more fun if Frack could run faster.

10. Being voted ‘Most Useless’ does have it’s advantages according to Frack who graciously excepted the title for the 10 minutes it took for her to figure out it was not a compliment, and then despite it all…fulfilled her commitment to the title with astounding ability. (that one makes me alittle teary).

11. Putting two folding tables on a dolly for transport to the truck is apparently a sure fired way to free Snow’s Inner Bitch. She threatened quick release if I took another step…and frankly...how could I, shakin’ in my stilettos like I was! I did the right thing…waited til they went outside…rolled them to the door…and called in the teenager! Odd that I have no problem lifting heavy things…yet put my back out when I iron…go figure!

12. It was a really great weekend, really great show, and we all worked really damned hard. Honest!
Can’t you tell by the pictures!



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home